Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Domesticated Girl: Crockpot Applesauce

I absolutely love making things from scratch. If I can do it I'll at least attempt to make it so when I discovered this recipe for crockpot applesauce I had to make it.  Took two attempts, but I think I got it down!

Ingredients:
4 apples (should have used way more, only made about one cup of apple sauce) red delicious and granny smith variety
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 lemon peel
5 tsp brown sugar


Method:
1.  Peel, core, and slice the apples into small chunks
2.  Throw these pieces into a crock pot, followed by the cinnamon powder lemon peel and brown sugar.
3.  Cook on low for 6 hours, stirring occasionally to even cook apples.
4.  Once cooled enough, pour crockpot's contents into a blended and blend until desired consistency.


I am a poor college student and therefore did not have the money to go out and buy expensive cinnamon sticks or lemon juice as the original recipe suggested, but this was adequate to my taste.  One thing I would change is doing away with the lemon peel as there was too much of a lemon flavor.  However, the flavor might have been more subtle if I had used more apples.  Enjoy!


Definitely making this again! The only effort needed was slicing and blending the apples!

No comments:

Post a Comment